Monday, March 21, 2011

Easter Sensory Bin

So here is our Easter themed sensory bin.

So what's inside?
Blue and Orange colored rice. To dye the rice I used food coloring and white vinegar. I purchased a 5 pound bag of white rice, split it in half in 2 large plastic zip lock baggies. I put in about 1 tsp of food coloring (more or less for desired color) and 1/4 cup of vinegar. I mixed up the bag till all the rice was coated and then spread it on cookies sheets to dry overnight.
Alex had a lot of fun mixing the two colors of rice together.
Some plastic Easter eggs for last year. I put a little craft foam sticker inside each one for a little surprise.
A little basket and some felt flowers, I had on hand.
Sorting felt flowers by colors

A Easter Tic Tac Toe game,  from Micheal's.  I quickly painted the bottoms of the bunnies and chicks and the "bunny" board with corresponding colors to make a color matching game. I hid the bunnies and chicks in the rice and as Alex found them I would ask what color it was and have him put it on the correct color circle.

Some little moonstone gems (clearance shelf at Michael's) and spiky egg shaped balls (Target dollar spot) and some wooden tongs I already had on hand.
This box has lots of fun learning opportunities and fine motor skill practice. I think this box will get a lot of use, Alex seems to really enjoy it. Total cost of box was about $6 and we will reuse many of the items for other boxes or projects.

He is still loving his Moon Sand too.  I think the Easter bunny may bring some more, and a bigger box to play with it in.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of Easter fun. I must try some moon sand with my boys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastc sensory bin!
    ~Jada Roo Can Do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a neat idea. I have been wanting to make my daughter a sensory bin! You made a very cute easter themed one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sensory box! I feel that we are missing out on Micheals and Target being in the UK. Loads of blogs mention them for cheap suplies.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!
    Pipxx
    http://wormseye-view.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the colored rice. I keep threatening to color the giant bag my husband bought from Sam's Club... ha ha...

    Thanks for sharing this at For the Kids Friday at SunScholars! I will be posting the next party tonight. I hope to have you linking up again this week!

    :)rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never bought moon sand...I'm definitely going to put it on the shopping list!

    ReplyDelete