Thursday, March 10, 2011

A New Potty Chart with a Educational Twist

We are still fighting the potty training battle at our house.  We've been working on it for a couple weeks now and have been making some good process. This is our 3rd attempt at starting potty training, he just wasn't ready before. We've been using a Sesame Street potty chart that came in a coloring book, but Alex really isn't into Sesame Street. So while he was napping yesterday, I decided to make him a new potty chart. He is really into rockets and space lately so that had to be the theme. Here is what I came up with.
The "trail" coming from the rocket has 25 spaces and there are 25 little circles (craft foam stickers) with the corresponding number that he can put on the trail when he has a successful potty trip. There is also a bunch of smaller circles, that I drew stars on and he can put into "sky" area as a reward for trying to use the potty. The chart is also educational, because he has to match numbers. We can also use it to count and name colors while we are waiting. He was excited when he saw it and couldn't wait to put some stickers on it. I explained to him when all the 25 spaces were covered he would get a big prize. Not sure what that will be yet.
To make it I just used a piece of poster board, some acrylic paint, craft foam sticker and a permanent maker. The stickers are stored in plastic bags below.

So cross your fingers for us that this will be the last potty chart and Alex will be fully trained in a couple weeks!

10 comments:

  1. FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!!!!!! You did an amazing job!

    I'd love to have you link this up to my For the Kids Friday Link Party! Stop on by!!

    :)rachel from SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea! It turned out great! Hope it helps! Keep us posted!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this for my son tonight. I don't draw, so I printed the rocket off the internet. :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing at the For the Kids Friday Link Party! I look forward to having you back this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old is your son, and how is the training going? My boy is 3 years and we have had very little success. He loves space and rockets though, so my oldest daughter is attempting to make a replica of your chart! I hope that it will work.....I need all the help I can get. Potty training the girls was easy, now I have 2 boys and the first is just not going well at all. :( Lets hope the youngest will be better when the time comes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex is 3 years 4 months now. He has been fully potty trained for about 3 months. He just decided he wanted to do it and did it. He's only had 2 accidents since. We used this potty chart and a prize system, which really seemed to work for us. He got 3 M & M's every time he was successful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your reply. Our sons are only 2 months apart then. We even made one of these yesterday and he peed once in the toilet and then it was back to going in his pants. I have tried everything (I am not kidding either...candy, gum, cookies, cupcakes, zoo, friends, grandparents, trips to planetarium, gifts, surprises, hope of preschool - he just tells me no now *sigh*) I hope he just decides to do it one day, but I wish it would come soon! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello again! I just wanted to say thank you for such a great idea! My son is practically fully trained now, and its been great. :) He only has had 4 "accidents" and thats been from sleeping all night in his bed, but every other night has been a success. From nothing to completely trained in 17 days or so?! WOOHOO! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great. Glad you like the idea! Congrats on your son's and your potty training success!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. just wanted to say thank you for the idea! I am currently trying to potty train my 2 1/2 yr old son. He is really into monster trucks, so I will be customizing it a bit. I'm not that great at drawing, but i just love the idea and I'm sure it is just the encouragement he needs! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete